Happy #manimonday everyone! Back due to popular demand, Mum did my nails this week. So, let’s get into this week’s purple flower design!
Stamping plate: Beauty Big Bang “XL-024”
Stamping polish: Born Pretty “BP-WR02 Misty Life”
Base: Sally Hansen “Double Duty Base & Top Coat”, Essie “Blanc” and Revlon ColorStay Gel Envy “030 Beginners Luck”
Top coat: Sally Hansen “Double Duty Base & Top Coat”
So, unfortunately, Mum didn’t do my nails because you guys just loved her work, but because I had an exam this week so I couldn’t do them at my normal time. She surprises me every time though and I think this could be her best look yet.
As I’m now on holidays but still don’t have any social events to go to because of COVID, what design I was going to put on my nails was a bit up in the air. We kind of made this design up as we went along (which is why it took a little longer to do), but it all started with the colours. Mum suggested doing pinky tones this week and thought this purple stamping colour would go nicely with the pink base I used in my ballerina look. However, after looking through our nails polishes, she came across this sparkly Revlon polish. It’s pretty translucent so it did need a white base under it, but it has this beautiful pink shimmer through it. We have a lot of polishes and sometimes a few get forgotten about. This was one of them and in fact, I don’t think I’ve worn it before. It’s definitely become one of my new favourites though.
So once colours were decided we moved onto images. We felt the colours were definitely on the feminine side, so we decided on a lace or flowery image. However, after flipping through the plate holder we came across the plate with this image. It wasn’t too solid that the base colour didn’t show through, but it was enough that it wouldn’t get lost on the nail.
The biggest issue and what took the most time was deciding what to put on my feature nail (because I think a feature nail always makes things look interesting). None of my other plates really had a flower to match (and the one that did wasn’t wowing us). The checks I did have also weren’t the same and it looked like we were trying too hard to match. This is when Mum came up with the idea of using the top of the flower image (where there is just the check pattern) to create a french tip. It took a bit of playing but we found that it worked best when the polish was placed along the two lines and then scrape in the direction of those lines. Then use a piece of paper to get clean straight edges.
This week the pick up rate was faultless. I have used this plate once before and I think it was pretty good back then too. I’m not really sure why it picked up so well, whether it’s because this is a new stamping polish (first time using it), it’s the plate (though I think this one was only $2) or the stamping gods were on my side. Either way, I’ll take it!
So overall, not only was this a fabulous design but it was easy to create as well. It’s something different to what I normally do and it’s feminine but not too much, which is why I think I’m loving it so much! The colour options for this look are also endless but I think I would stick with a light base and dark stamping polish just so you get that contrast.
Bye for now!